This Christmas is about giving. I did not want the kids' lists... I hate lists. I think its rather selfish to construct a selfish list of all the things you WANT. I want the kids to rather make a LIST of what we will be doing for others. I want them to understand how good it feels to GIVE. I want them to not WANT for themselves, but WANT to help others instead. This year it has felt good to make my purchases. It's felt good to hear the kids' say "I don't really NEED anything". Because, its true. They have everything they NEED.
Unlike other children in the world, they are blessed beyond measure. Their closets overflow with clothes and shoes. They own all the video games and electronic devices that they could possibly play and yes, they still complain of boredom.
I hate to sound so "grinchy". I love Christmas. I love giving gifts. But this year it is different for us. Yes, I have bought the newest NERF gun for my son. I have bought some "fun gifts" for the kids to open. Gifts that they don't expect. I love to watch them on Christmas day be surprised and happy!
But, I have tried to do things that are thoughtful. I have tried to make my purchases carefully and with good thoughts and causes. We will be helping out our single mom friend who has turned her life around and left a life of drugs, abuse and destruction. She recently got a new job and needs clothes. She needs gas money and makeup. I recently took her pictures of her and her son, and I will have a print made and framed for her to have and cherish. I am excited for my girls and I to go shopping and buy her things that we know she will love.
I also have tried to support organizations like this: TOMS.
For every pair of shoes you BUY, ONE pair is donated to a child!
that's HUGE!
For every pair of shoes you BUY, ONE pair is donated to a child!
that's HUGE!
I personally have asked for a pair, (hint, hint hubby!) and personally I think they are sorta ugly. But, the cause is amazing! I will be buying my son a pair as well. He watched the video with me tonight and he LOVED the idea. He is 9. He doesn't really understand the problems of the world. But he understands what it feels like to give to others, and that makes me smile.
Every year I try to support this organization too : Heifer International
FOR $20.00 dollars to you can buy a family a flock of CHICKS.
The protein in just one egg is a nutritious gift for a hungry child. Protein-packed eggs from even a single chicken can make a life-saving difference.
Heifer helps many hungry families with a starter flock of 10 to 50 chicks. A good hen can lay up to 200 eggs a year - plenty to eat, share or sell. With Heifer recipients' commitment to pass on the offspring and training, the exponential impact of adding chickens to communities in poverty is truly a model that helps end hunger and poverty.
Because chickens require little space and can thrive on readily available food scraps, families can make money from the birds without spending much. And chickens help control insects and fertilize gardens.
Here's some others that you can help. GIVE, GIVE, GIVE! Remember, Christmas is about so much more than getting all the great stuff you asked for. Its about loving others, showing them you care, and making a difference!
THIS is a MUST for us this YEAR, OPERATION GIVE
Providing stockings to OUR great troops serving across the world! Show them some LOVE and send them a stocking. PLEASE!
Don't forget these OTHER amazing organizations this Christmas!
1. Your local CHURCHES (with a bad economy, churches are feeling it too! Do not forget your local churches, they do many GREAT things for the community and people ALL over the world!)
2. ANGEL TREE- providing gifts and a message of hope to children of prisoners.
3.WORLD VISION- sponsor a CHILD!
4.Salvation Army- make a donation!
5. A million THANKS- if you can NOT help our financially, consider just sending a note of encouragement, prayer and thanks for our TROOPS!
Here's some others that you can help. GIVE, GIVE, GIVE! Remember, Christmas is about so much more than getting all the great stuff you asked for. Its about loving others, showing them you care, and making a difference!
THIS is a MUST for us this YEAR, OPERATION GIVE
Providing stockings to OUR great troops serving across the world! Show them some LOVE and send them a stocking. PLEASE!
Don't forget these OTHER amazing organizations this Christmas!
1. Your local CHURCHES (with a bad economy, churches are feeling it too! Do not forget your local churches, they do many GREAT things for the community and people ALL over the world!)
2. ANGEL TREE- providing gifts and a message of hope to children of prisoners.
3.WORLD VISION- sponsor a CHILD!
4.Salvation Army- make a donation!
5. A million THANKS- if you can NOT help our financially, consider just sending a note of encouragement, prayer and thanks for our TROOPS!


2 comments:
Such a great post. We also always try and give as much to others as we do to ourselves. I just wish I felt like shopping. It is being a hard year for me for that but I do have a tree up and lights so I am sure I will get to it! Merry Merry Ho Ho Ho!
I admit it I tell the kids to write a list for me. They know that it is mostly so I can tell their Grandma what they want and they also know that they wont get it all. Throughout the year we try to teach the kids about giving. my son just worked at the food bank before Thanksgiving, we donate clothing every August, we put aside things that we think friends in need might like, we buy the broad of chickens too! haha and donate to St Judes. I think it is our job to show our kids how to be compassionate for others. Merry Christmas
Post a Comment