Saturday, June 18, 2011

pondering moment in Starbucks

I am sitting in Starbucks.
Yep.
On my fancy new laptop. {I kinda feel like I may be in the uber cool club for just a second}
There are people around me chattering, talking and solving the worlds problems.
Alot of fathers and daughters today.
I am pretty sure that they are celebrating early. Beings tomorrow is fathers day.
I sit here alone and take in the chatter.
It amazes me how many hurts and struggles are being discussed. But there is alot of joy too...
two women sit beside me and talk about the struggles of their relationships... I want to join in. :)
Another father sits with 3 yound girls and explains "roots of a tree". and plays a game of patty cake, patty cake bakers man... the little girl sings "..Mark it with a D, and put it in the oven for DADDY and ME!".. too cute.
A father/daughter duo talk about the aging process, his arthritis, and the dreaded rain.
A girl behind me talks to her friend about a conversation she had with her father, and the anger she has.
I sit here and ponder.

Yesterday I went to the city with my father.
It was fabulous.
We started out at Starbucks and just people watched. My favorite thing to do.
We then jumped on my dads motorcycle and headed to a restaurant owned by a friend that we call "Saddam Hussein". He owned a nasty little mini mart that was a block from our house in the city. I asked my dad how in the world we ever came up with that name for him. I was a young girl when we met him, and I have always known his name to be Saddam Hussein.
My dad told the story...
"Well... I met him shortly before we invaded Iraq for the first time. He told me that America would get their ASS kicked by Saddam Hussein and the Iraq troops. He said "These soldiers can survive in the desert with no water and little supplies". (basically stating that American troops would not be able to survive the harsh conditions).
My dad explained to Saddam that it wouldnt be a problem. Unlike Iraq, we would GET our soldiers water and food. My dad then gave him the nickname "Saddam Hussein", and it stuck.
The restaurant was a gyro type situation, open air, and alittle dirty.
The food was amazing.




































The city was busy. The weather was fabulous. We jumped back on my dads motorcyle and headed to the market. Musicians sang, women danced, and it smelled divine.
We visited gum alley.










Me and my dad had a great time and enjoyed eachothers company. Through my times of struggle, we have become closer. I am thankful.
We were getting ready to leave, and we saw this man.
He was kneeling down to look at a magazine.
My dad asked him if we could take a picture of his beard.
He smiled.
He was happy.
I took his picture and smiled back.
It was a good day in the city.


1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

Wonderful piece of writing Trisha! Praying for you lots. We should do Starbucks one of these days!